The Best Broadway Shows for Groups
Selecting the perfect trip for everyone in your group can be overwhelming, especially if you are planning a group trip for people of differing ages. Depending on the type of outing you’re looking for, there are multiple shows that can make your Broadway experience outstanding. Here are a few of our favorites.
Shows for a School Trip
For your next school trip, you’ll want to carefully select age-appropriate shows that, of course, offer an educational and enriching experience. Broadway has countless options available depending on the type of content you’re looking to expose your students to. Top selections include:
- Hamilton is the critically acclaimed musical and cultural sensation that follows the life of founding father Alexander Hamilton. The show’s unique blend of hip-hop and classical musical storytelling will keep students ages 10+ engaged and excited the whole show through. Tickets for Hamilton are still a bit more pricey than other Broadway shows, though with its return coming in January of 2022 there will be plenty of time to plan for covering the price.
- Ain’t Too Proud follows the story of the Temptations during their rise to fame and throughout their impressive career. With “electrifying” music, this show is an excellent choice for your next school trip. It offers students aged 13+ entertaining musical numbers while also addressing important topics through a historical lens.
- Hadestown, recommended for ages 8+, is a thrilling show that intertwines two Greek mythological tales, providing a tremendous end-of-unit field trip after covering Greek mythology or history. This Tony-award-winning musical touches on themes of love and betrayal that are captivating and can foster great post-show conversations with your students.
Family Favorite Performances
The family trip is perhaps the trickiest group show to plan for, given that you likely will have various age groups with different interests to take into account. Here are a few family-friendly shows that will make for a memorable experience for everyone:
- The Lion King boasts stunning costumes and familiar music that will have family members at any age enjoying the show. This classic Disney musical has been on Broadway for over 20 years and is sure to provide you with a lasting family memory.
- Aladdin is another Disney staple that’s perfect for family members of all ages. From the producer behind the Lion King, Aladdin provides an equally spectacular version of a family favorite story and is sure to capture the hearts and imaginations of all family members, regardless of age.
- Wicked is a great family option for the slightly older crowd and provides excellent opportunities for group tickets. A perfect choice for kids over the age of 8, this twist on the ever-popular Wizard of Oz is sure to become a family favorite. This option is better for a group of diverse ages and offers a little something for everyone.
Girl Trip Greats
For your next girls’ trip, Broadway offers endless options for shows that are fun and sure to add a bit of excitement to your trip. Depending on the interests of your group, there are shows that pull at the heartstrings or will leave you feeling empowered and thoroughly entertained:
- Jagged Little Pill is a relative newcomer to Broadway that quickly built itself a legacy of reuniting groups. The show is scored by Alanis Morisette’s grammy award-winning album of the same name and brings a fresh family story of pain, healing, and empowerment that will captivate your group like nothing else. As Jagged Little Pill makes its November return, it’s an ideal option for you to continue its group booking trend for your very own group reunion on Broadway.
- Waitress is a heartwarming tale written by critically acclaimed singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles. The catchy and honest songs will play through your head for the rest of your New York trip. Get there soon to see Bareilles star in the show as it makes its return to Broadway.
- Six is a fabulously fun new musical experience. The show follows the six wives of Henry VIII, reimagining them as pop princesses with infectious anthems to belt out. The show was originally set to open the day Broadway shut down last year so, this show’s return offers your group a chance to experience the coveted opening weekend performances.
Regardless of which Broadway show you choose, your group trip is bound to be filled with some of the best entertainment the theater world has to offer. You can book your group tickets like a Broadway insider with Broadway Inbound and when you’re ready to organize your trip GroupTools is here to help make your planning process safe and stress-free. Visit GroupTools.com to learn more or jump right into your planning today.