Symphony Space was founded in the belief that the arts bring people together, transcend barriers, and celebrate both our similarities and differences. Through adventurous and impactful programming, commissions, and conversations, Symphony Space continues to invigorate these guiding principles, creating magical moments that harness the power of the arts to engage and inspire.
What you’ll do
You’ll experience the best this multidisciplinary performing arts institution has to offer:
Symphony Space presents more than 600 events during a year in its two theaters—Peter Jay Sharp Theatre and Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theatre — including music, dance, comedy, theater, film and literary readings:
- The Peter Jay Sharp Theatre, originally known as the Symphony Theatre, opened in 1918 and has been a beacon of entertainment for generations in New York City. It was in this space in 1978 that Symphony Space was founded, when founders Isaiah Sheffer and Allan Miller rented the space for a one-day extravaganza known as “Wall to Wall Bach,” a free 12-hour music festival which included audience participation. The Peter Jay Sharp Theatre houses a wide range of performances, including classical and contemporary music, literary readings, dance, films, children’s programming, and so much more.
- Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theatre: Originally named “The Thalia” upon its opening in 1931, the Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theatre has been a haven for movie buffs for generations. Regular patrons of the past include Peter Bogdanovich, Martin Scorsese, and Woody Allen, who immortalized the space in the film Annie Hall.
Take part in one of our best known programs during it’s season October – June. Selected Shorts, a reading of short stories hosted by Isaiah Sheffer, is one of the most popular series on the airwaves:
- Selected Shorts: Spellbinding short stories by established and emerging writers take on a new life when they are performed by stars of the stage and screen. Whether we present stories around a lively theme, the favorite works of a guest author or a special collaboration with a museum or publication, each Selected Shorts event is a unique night of literature in performance.
Immerse yourself in interactive cultural programming, including comedy nights, jazz open mic, live music performances, poetry readings, wine tastings and other special event at Bar Thalia:
- Bar Thalia is the Upper West Side’s go-to place for handcrafted cocktails, craft beers, and great wines in a vibrant and relaxed atmosphere. We’re a 46-seat bar offering signature cocktails and a New American menu in a relaxed and intimate setting. We’re adjacent to the Leonard Nimoy Thalia. Come enjoy a great night out with a group of friends.
Plan your visit
Group Rates: Click here to explore our calendar of events and select the perfect performance for your group. For many events, discounts are available for groups of fifteen people or more.
- Group rates for events produced by Symphony Space: Please call the Box Office at 212.864.5400 or email [email protected]
- Group Rates for Guest Presenters: Please contact the presenting organization directly.
Cultural Field Trip Groups: Bring your students to our beautiful theater to see the music, dance, and storytelling of cultures from around the world. Audiences partake in these interactive performances too! Global Arts Interactive Performances are a great way to create a vibrant and exhilarating cultural experience for audiences young and old. Pre-performance workshops are recommended but not mandatory.
- Pre-performance Resource Guides provided to all participating teachers include performance descriptions, suggested activities, and pre-performance assignments for on-stage participation of selected students.
- Cultural performances are held from 11am to 12:15pm. The performances are approximately 75 minutes long, and take place weekdays at Symphony Space.
Click here to download our 2019/2020 cultural field trips flyer and enrollment form.
Private Group Events: Join our family of Visiting Presenters! We have just the right space for you and your audience.
- Peter Jay Sharp Theatre: Our 756-seat Peter Jay Sharp Theatre with proscenium stage and fixed seating is available for rental seven days a week 9:30am to 12am (Sundays after 2pm only).
- Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theatre: Our 168-seat Leonard Nimoy Thalia with platform stage is available for rental seven days a week 9:30am to 12am.
- The Thalia Studio: Our 25’x25′ Thalia Studio is available for rehearsals, auditions and meetings seven days a week 9am to 9pm.
- Bar Thalia: Our 46-seat bar offers signature cocktails and a New American menu in a relaxed and intimate setting. Bar Thalia is also available for private and semiprivate receptions. Food & beverage packages from $35 per person for a 2-hour event.
Please contact our booking department to reserve one our our spaces for your Private Group Event:
- Monica Broadman, Booking Director, (212) 864-1414 x213
- Natalie Elder, Booking Assistant, (212) 864-1414 x235
Where is it
Symphony Space is located on the southwest corner of 95th & Broadway.
- By Subway: It’s as easy as 1 ,2, 3! Take the subway to the 96th Street Station and walk one block on Broadway. We’re only 10 minutes from Times Square, 10 minutes from 125th Street, and 15 minutes from the West Village/Chelsea. The theatre is also accessible by the B and C subway trains, which stop at 96th Street and Central Park West.
- By Bus: On the west side take the M104 up or downtown on Broadway. You can also take the M7 and M11 uptown on Amsterdam Avenue or downtown on Columbus Avenue. From the east side, take the 96th Street Crosstown(M96 or M106) to Broadway and walk one block south.
- By Car: Take the 96th Street exit of the West Side Highway and turn right at the second light onto Broadway.
- Parking Information: There are many parking garages located just a few steps away from our doorsteps. Among them, Public Parking at 169 West 95th Street (special rate: $25 for 6 hours with your Symphony Space ticket stub) and Convenient Parking both provide easy and reasonably-priced access to our venue.
Hours & Schedule
Performances and Events
- To view the schedule for performaces and events click here to explore our calendar.
Box Office Hours
- Tuesday – Sunday 1:00 pm–6:00 pm
- Open one hour prior to performances and events
Things to keep in mind
Is Symphony Space accessible for persons with disabilities? In the Peter Jay Sharp Theatre, infrared hearing devices are available from the house manager. Patrons requiring wheelchair locations, or aisle seats to transfer to/from a wheelchair, should inform the box office when purchasing tickets. Restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
If I’m late for a show, when will I be admitted? Latecomers will be admitted and/or seated at the discretion of management. Reserved seat locations are not guaranteed past curtain time.
Can I bring my children to a show? Policies vary for different shows regarding admittance of children under five. Please inquire before purchasing tickets.
Is there a coat check? There is no coat check area.