Liberty Science Center
Liberty Science Center is a must-see destination! Located in the beautiful Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ, we are a cutting-edge, 300,000-square-foot learning center visited by more than 750,000 guests each year. We are also home to the Jennifer Chalsty Planetarium, the biggest planetarium in the Western Hemisphere
What you’ll do
A few of our most popular exhibitions include:
- Touch Tunnel, an 80-foot, crawl-through, pitch-black tunnel that helps you realize how much we rely on sight to move through the world
- Infinity Climber, a suspended climbing play space located 35 feet in the air
- Eat and Be Eaten, home to 100+ fascinating animal species including naked mole rats, the critically endangered cotton-top tamarin monkeys, and leaf-cutter ants
Plan your visit
Liberty Science Center specializes in welcoming groups of all sizes for engaging, educational adventures. If you have a student team, performance group, or a club or class touring the area, we can help you plan a day of excitement and exploration that your group will never forget.
Where is it
Liberty Science Center is Located in the beautiful Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ at 222 Jersey City Boulevard Jersey City, NJ 07305
- From Manhattan or traveling west: Take the Holland Tunnel to the first exit on the NJ Turnpike, Exit 14B. After the toll, bear left, go downhill and around the traffic circle to the left. Cross the railroad tracks and turn left onto Jersey City Boulevard to enter the parking lot. Travel time from the exit: 3-4 minutes.
- From all other points: Take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 14C, staying in right-hand lanes at the toll. The exit is immediately after the toll. Take the first right onto Jersey City Boulevard, then make an immediate left to enter the parking lot. Travel time from the exit: under 1 minute.
- From Staten Island: Take the Goethals Bridge to the NJ Turnpike North. Follow signs to Exit 14C, then follow the directions above.
PATH & Light Rail
- PATH Trains Take the PATH to Pavonia/Newport or Exchange Place station and transfer to the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR).
- HBLR Take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Liberty State Park station. Follow signs to the sidewalk directly under the NJ Turnpike overpass. We’re just on the other side. Be sure to validate your ticket before entering the train.
Liberty Landing Ferry
- Ferries depart every 30 minutes from the World Financial Center to Liberty State Park. From the landing, it is a roughly 20-minute walk to Liberty Science Center. Note: Please check all ferry routes and schedules in advance as they often change.
Hours & Schedule
- Tues. – Fri. 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Sat. – Sun. 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Closed Mondays as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
LSC After Dark
- On the third Thursday of every month, guests 21 and over are invited to explore the building and enjoy drinks, food, music, exhibits, dancing, and more from 6:00 pm – 10:00 PM
- Visit lsc.org/lsc-after-dark for more information.
- Hours Vary by Event
- For more information, call us at 201.253.1378, email us, or fill out our Special Events form.
Things to keep in mind
- Cars: The parking lot is owned by the state of New Jersey and operated by a private company. LSC does not receive parking revenue. The fee for cars and vans during the day is $7.00.
- Buses: The lot accommodates up to 60 buses and offers head-in parking so riders never have to cross active traffic areas. Fee is $10.00 per day for private and school buses.
- Overflow: When the 750-spot lot is full, guests may park in the NJ Transit Hudson-Bergen Light Rail parking lot at Liberty State Park station, just a three-minute walk away. For bus overflow parking, please inquire at the parking lot kiosk.
- Special needs: A small drop-off area is available near the entrance, only for guests with special needs. Enter from Phillip Street, drop off guests, and proceed to the parking lot entrance.
Accessibility & Safety Information
Liberty Science Center is an ADA-compliant museum. When planning a visit with a differently-abled guest or group, please let us know if you will need additional accommodations.
- Hearing accessibility features including induction loop systems and closed captioning
- Wheelchairs (request at the Welcome Desk; first come, first served)
- Drop-off circle near the entrance (enter from Phillip Street)
- Two large elevators access each floor. A third elevator serves the Jennifer Chalsty Planetarium and LSC Giant Dome Theater.
- A level entrance and interior space
- Wheelchair-accessible restrooms and public areas
- Registered service dogs are welcome at Liberty Science Center
- Bathrooms & Nursing Room
- First Aid Room
- Coin Lockers