Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is dedicated to the exhibition and interpretation of history, science and service as related to its home aboard the aircraft carrier Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark. As you explore the Museum you will be able to examine original artifacts, view historic video footage and explore interactive exhibits.
What you’ll do
Explore history, science and service at the Intrepid Museum. Walk the decks of the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark, and see 28 aircraft, including the world’s fastest military jet. Get an up-close look at the space shuttle Enterprise and British Airways Concorde, and enter Growler, the only guided missile submarine open to the public. The Museum also features the Exploreum, a fully interactive exhibit space where you can climb into a real Bell 47 helicopter and land a space shuttle.
Plan your visit
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum offers experiences that will captivate groups of all ages and interests:
- Explore the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and the submarine Growler.
- Group tickets include the Space Shuttle Pavilion
- Fast and simple group arrivals with a dedicated bus drop-off and group check-in area
- Add a Private Guided Tour, an exciting Simulator Ride, or Lunch Options with reserved areas for groups pre-ordering lunch.(all available for a nominal charge)
Group rates include the Space Shuttle Pavilion. Discounts are available for advance reservations and a minimum of 15 people. All group bookings must be paid in advance. Reservations made within 2 weeks of visit must be paid in full upon booking. Arrange your visit now by calling 646-381-5010 during our business hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm or completing our Group Request Form.
- Tier 1: Enjoy a group visit with a special rate just for scouts!
- Tier 2: Experience the mighty Intrepid while completing a badge with one of our badge advancement mentors.
- Scout Days: Classroom-style merit badge advancement workshops, Completion of a full badge, Lunch, & Special Scout Day Patch
Reserve your spot today. Call 646-381-5010 or email [email protected]
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum has many exciting programs for campers, including scavenger hunts and education programs. Be sure to visit our new Exploreum Interactive Hall for the perfect combination of education, innovation and fun.
- Self Guided Visit: Our experienced team of group sales professionals can tailor a complete itinerary to any camper’s schedule, interests and budget.
- Education Program: The Education Department offers three programs specifically designed for camp groups during the months of July and August. Programs are offered at 10:30am, 11:30am and 12:30pm, Monday–Friday (subject to availability). Capacity: 6 groups per day with no more than 30 students per group. 3 chaperones (over 18) are required per group.
NYC DOE, DYCD, BOCES, COMPAS and DHS groups please click here. For more information, call 646-381-5169 or email [email protected]. All other camp groups please click here to request a trip. For more information, call 646-381-5010 or email [email protected].
Featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and more, we will create a unique birthday celebration that your child will love today—and remember forever. Complete 2 hr. Package includes:
- Admission to the Museum and submarine Growler
- Exciting, themed activities for hands-on fun
- Two Intrepid Museum party hosts (one in costume)
- Lunch packages, birthday cake, and more!
- We handle everything for you from start to finish!
Contact our Group Sales Department at [email protected] or 646-381-5010 to book your party!
Get exclusive access to the ship and Space Shuttle Pavilion, and sleep among the aircraft, just like enlisted sailors once did.
- Dinner, snack and breakfast
- Flashlight guided tours of the flight deck
- Hands-on educational activities
- T-shirt for each youth participant and an Intrepid patch.
- Groups of 25 get a FREE DRONE with HD camera
- 60-day return pass to the museum for everyone
New Leadership Package Available: Includes all above PLUS Self-guided tour of Growler, Explore the Intrepid’s Captain and Navigation Bridge, Leadership activity for your group, Early entry to the Museum (1 hour before everyone else), Sleep in Intrepid’s Great Hall with floor-to-ceiling views of the Hudson.
Special Packages Available: Cruise Package, take a cruise to the Statue of Liberty before Operation Slumber and Birthday Package, Includes cake, pizza dinner, paper goods, decorated private room, balloons on birthday child’s cot, VIP pass for birthday child and parent to simulators. Also a special birthday shout out!
Reserve your spot today. Call 646-381-5010 or email [email protected]. Museum members enjoy a special discount on Operation Slumber.
Private Group Events
Since its opening in 1982, Intrepid Sea Air & Space Museum has been host to countless visitors and numerous and varied events. At Intrepid you will find a space both uniquely historic and modern to accommodate all of your event needs. Our professional and experienced event staff will assist you in all the stages of the event process, from initial planning, managing the actual event, straight through to a seamless breakdown and load out. We have a thorough knowledge of event industry vendors, and have established strong relationships with lighting, design and sound companies, florists, rental and prop companies, as well as full event production companies.
Start planning your event today. Call 646-631-5301, email [email protected], or submit an online inquiry.
Where is it
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is located on the West side of Manhattan on Pier 86, 12th Ave. & 46th Street. It is easily accessible from all points in the New York City Metro area.
- Take the A, C, E, N, Q, R, S, 1, 2, 3, 7 train to 42nd Street, then walk or take the M42 West Bus to Hudson River (12th Avenue). Walk North to the Intrepid Museum at 46th Street.
- Take the 7 train to the 34th Street – Hudson Yards station. Exit near 11th Avenue, and then walk west to 12th Avenue and North to the Intrepid Museum at 46th Street.
- Take cross-town buses west. M34 (34th Sts), M42 (42nd St.) or M-50 (49th St.) to 12th Ave. and Hudson River. Intrepid is a short walk North from the M34 and M42. The M50 drops off immediately in front of the Intrepid.
By Metro-North Rail
- Metro-North Railroad’s service to Grand Central Terminal in Midtown Manhattan puts you in the center of it all. From Grand Central Terminal take the westbound M42 (Pier) (located outside the Vanderbilt Hall entrance of Grand Central Terminal, on 42nd Street between Park and Vanderbilt Avenues,) to Twelfth Avenue (the last stop) and walk north to 46th Street.
- NY Waterway operates a ferry from Hoboken, NJ (14th Street) and Weehawken, NJ at Port Imperial Ferry Terminal and at Lincoln Harbor located at the Sheraton Suites on Harbor Blvd. in Weehawken, NJ. In just 8 minutes, the ferry takes you across the Hudson River to 39th and 12th Avenue, walking distance from the Intrepid. Parking is conveniently available at the lot adjacent to Port Imperial Ferry Terminal and in a nearby parking garage for the Hoboken ferry. NY Waterway Ferry departs every 15-20 minutes during peak hours.
- From Queens and Long Island — Take Long Island Expressway (westbound) to New York City/Midtown Tunnel (westbound). Exit tunnel toward 42nd Street. Turn left on 42nd Street (westbound), and follow 42nd Street across town to 12th Avenue. Turn right on 12th Avenue (northbound) to 49th Street. Make U-turn around barriers heading south to 46th Street and 12th Avenue.
- From the Bronx — Take Cross Bronx Expressway (westbound) to Henry Hudson Parkway (southbound). Henry Hudson Parkway becomes 12th Avenue. Follow 12th Avenue until 46th Street. Intrepid Museum is on the right.
- From Northern New Jersey — Take George Washington Bridge to Henry Hudson Parkway (southbound). Henry Hudson Parkway becomes 12th Avenue. Follow 12th Avenue until 46th Street. Intrepid Museum is on the right.
- From Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey —Take New Jersey Turnpike to Lincoln tunnel, exit to 42nd Street. Turn left (westbound) to 12th Avenue. Turn right on 12th Avenue (northbound) to 49th Street. Make U-turn around barriers heading southbound to 46th Street and 12th Avenue.
- From Points North — Take Saw Mill River Parkway south to Henry Hudson Parkway (southbound). Henry Hudson Parkway becomes 12th Avenue. Follow 12th Avenue until 46th Street. Intrepid Museum is on the right.
- There is no parking facility at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Complex but, there is parking nearby at:
- Park Right – 670 W. 43rd Street, between 11th Avenue and West Side Highway
- PARK-IT 50-51 Operating Corp – 622-630 W 51 St, between 11th Avenue and West Side Highway
- PARK-IT 50-51 Operating Corp – 627 W 50 St, between 11th Avenue and West Side Highway
- Garage Management Company – 550 West 45th Street, between 10th and 11th Avenues
Directions for Tour & School Busses
- From Newark Airport & Points South – Take New Jersey Turnpike North to Lincoln Tunnel. Exit to 42nd Street. Make a left onto 42nd Street (westbound). Make a right onto 12th Avenue (northbound). You will pass the Intrepid Museum on your left. Make U-turn at 56th Street, staying on 12th Avenue. Pass the ship terminal, the Intrepid Museum is on the right at 46th Street.
- From Northern New Jersey & Points West – Take the George Washington Bridge to the Henry Hudson Parkway South. The Henry Hudson Parkway becomes 12th Avenue. The Intrepid Museum is on the right at 46th Street.
- From Westchester & Points North – Take the Saw Mill Parkway South to the Henry Hudson Parkway. See directions above.
- From Long Island (Kennedy Airport) – Take van Wyck Expressway North to Long Island Expressway to the Midtown Tunnel/New York City West. Exit tunnel toward 42nd Street. Proceed across town on 42nd Street. Follow from 12th Avenue above.
- From La Guardia & Points Northeast – Take the Grand Central East (toward Long Island) to the Midtown Tunnel/New York City West. Exit tunnel toward 42nd Street. Proceed across town on 42nd Street. Follow from 12th Avenue above.
Group Drop-Off, Pick-Up & Bus Parking
- Passenger drop-off and pick-up must be made inside the parking lot on the northbound side of 12th Avenue, between 45th and 46th streets across from the Museum. The entrance to the lot is on 12th Avenue (West Side Highway). Please use this lot for drop-off, pick-up, and if needed, parking your bus or motor coach.
- Please note that the Department of Transportation does not permit buses and motor coaches to drop-off or pick-up passengers on the southbound side of 12th Avenue in front of the Museum.
Hours & Schedule
Thursdays to Sundays 10:00am – 5:00pm
Things to keep in mind
The health and safety of our visitors is our top priority. We have put measures in place that include a mandatory face-covering policy, enforced social distancing, capacity limits, timed ticketing, and increased cleaning and disinfecting procedures. Through these efforts, we are able to provide an engaging experience for your group in a safe environment. The 350,000 square foot Museum also contains a great deal of outdoor space on Pier 86 and the flight deck, as well as spacious indoor areas like the ship’s hangar deck for your group to safely and comfortably explore.