Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary
Experience the wonder of live butterflies and exotic frogs in Jim Thorpe’s unique hands-on education center, featuring an indoor “Flutterarium” live butterfly flight room, kids’ art space and activity room, and nature-based gift shop. A visit to the Sanctuary can be a metamorphosing experience!
- Scout Friendly
- Seasonal - Spring
- Seasonal - Summer
What you’ll do
At Bear Mountain Butterflies, You Can…
- Have a private group event
- Earn a scout badge
- Have a unique nature-based shopping experience
- Meet our knowledgeable, friendly and passionate staff
You’ll learn all about butterflies, watch a short video, enjoy a fascinating and fun educational program from our knowledgeable staff, hand-feed butterflies, and create happy memories and a craft to take home. Our Amenities Include:
- Indoor “Flutterarium” live butterfly flight room
- Live exotic frog room
- Native Caterpillar Exhibit
- Fun educational programs
- Monarch watch way-station
- Unique nature-based gift shop
- Outdoor picnic area
- Weekly specials and events
- Butterfly releases
Plan your visit
Afternoon and evening group times are available for Scout programs, Red Hat groups, Senior Centers and special events. All On-Site Private Group Programs carry a minimum cost of $150.00
Butterfly School 101 – $9.00 Per Person
- Wonderful age appropriate butterfly video
- Educational fun interactive program
- Time in the FLUTTERARIUM to hang out with real-live butterflies
- Craft and /or games
- Indoor and outdoor table space for snack or lunch
- Fabulous kid-friendly gift shop
Butterfly Scout Programs – $9.00 per person 1 leader free with each troop
- May through September, after school, early evenings or weekends
- Private classroom space for meeting, badge work, snack, etc. for up to 2 hours
- Fascinating video
- Age appropriate games and/or crafts projects
- Our ” Wonder of Butterfly Program”
- Time in the LIVE BUTTERFLY FLIGHT ROOM
- Kid-friendly gift shop
- Ask About Our Butterfly Friend Badge
Other Group Programs – Prices Vary
- We offer parties and customizable group programs for: Churches, Day Care Centers, Personal Care Homes, Camps, Resorts, and Others.
To book your private group, please email email@example.com for Rates and Program Information.
Where is it
18 Church Rd. Jim Thorpe, PA 18229
We are located on the corner of Church Road and State Route 903, 8 miles above down-town Jim Thorpe (across from the Dollar General). We are 1/3 miles South of Pocono White Water Rafting Center.
GPS coordinates: latitude 40.939961 / longitude -75.65624
Hours & Schedule
Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary is open for groups of 16 or more by special scheduling from mid-April through late summer.
- Tuesday & Wednesday: 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday – Monday: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
We can also accommodate your group by extending our business hours.
Things to keep in mind
Can’t Make it to the Sanctuary? Book One of Our Travel Programs – We Bring the Butterflies to You!
General Travel Programs – $150.00 Plus Travel Costs
In-School Programs – Pricing Varies
- Half-Day (Morning or Afternoon) – Up to 2 classroom programs. No more than 90 students in each program – $450.00 + Travel Costs
- Full-Day – Up to 5 classroom programs. No more than 90 students in each program – $950.00 plus travel Costs
- Entire School Program – $700.00 + Travel Costs
- Carbon County: $0.65 per mile round trip
- Adjacent Counties: $30.00 plus $0.65 per mile round trip
- Non-Adjacent Counties: $60.00 plus $0.65 per mile round trip
To book your travel or school program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.